Policy Details for Fall 2019 & Summer 2021 and beyond
The Credit/No Credit Grading Option (CR/NC) offers Gies College of Business students the opportunity to complete an Elective course for ungraded credit. An Elective course does not fulfill University requirements, General Education, Business Core, or Major or Minor requirements. Students must petition the College to be permitted to change a graded Elective course to the CR/NC option or to change CR/NC back to a Letter Grade. The CR/NC Petition must be approved before this grading option is permitted. Below is a specific list of restrictions that must be met to elect the CR/NC option.
How do I request a course be changed to Credit/No Credit?
Complete the Credit/No Credit Option form. You will be notified only if your request is denied.
What are the deadlines for a Credit/No Credit request and to change Credit/No Credit back to a letter grade?
Full Semester Course: The deadline to request these options is the 8th week of the semester.
1st 8 Week Semester Course: Generally, the deadline to request CR/NC option for a course occurs at the end of the 4th week of full semester classes. Check with the Academic Calendar to confirm the last day to request CR/NC or to change back to a Letter Grade for a 1st 8 Week Semester course.
2nd 8 Week Semester Course: Students electing CR/NC option or to change from CR/NC back to a Letter Grade for a 2nd 8 Week course will need to submit a written request. CR/NC forms are available here. Generally, the deadline to submit a CR/NC request for a 2nd 8 Week Semester course occurs at the end of the 12th week of Full Semester classes.
If you were unable to submit your request before the deadline, you must complete the Late Credit/No Credit Petition. Click here to be directed to the form.
What are the restrictions?
- Business students must be in Good Academic Standing to request this option.
- Students on Probation may not elect this option.
- A maximum of 18 credit hours using this grade mode may be applied toward degree hours.
- A maximum of 2 courses per semester are allowed as CR/NC for Full-Time Students.
- Summer Session students may elect only one course under the CR/NC option.
- A letter grade of “C-” or higher is needed to earn CR and credit hours. A letter grade of “D+” or lower is converted to NC that does not earn credit hours.
Instructors are not informed of those students in their courses who are taking coursework under the CR/NC option and they will report the usual final letter grades at the end of the course. The final grades are automatically converted to either CR or NC.
CR/NC courses are not counted toward the cumulative and semester GPAs, but are included as part of the total credit hours.
- Only elective courses may be taken using this option.
University requirements, General Education, Business Core, or Major or Minor requirements coursework must be taken for a letter grade.
All Accountancy and Finance courses must be taken for a letter grade, including elective Accountancy and Finance courses that are not required for graduation.
Important to note when considering the CR/NC option:
- Employers prefer any business coursework to be completed as graded credit rather than a CR.
- Many Graduate and Professional schools will calculate Admission GPA based on the last sixty hours of undergraduate work and assign a low grade value to CR courses. They may also convert a NC into a failing grade since they do not know whether the actual grade was a “D” or “F”.
- Student Athletes electing the CR/NC option need to exercise caution if they are to satisfy Big Ten and NCAA academic regulations. Please check with your Athletic Counselor before electing CR/NC.
- Seniors: any courses awarded NC (a grade of “D+” or lower) will NOT be counted towards the 124 Hour Graduation requirement and can delay your graduation until the hour requirement is fulfilled.