Withdraw or Cancel Enrollment
Cancellation Before the Semester Begins
You may cancel your registration before the end of the business day prior to the first day of classes. A cancellation no later than the business day before the first day of instruction results in a cancellation of all tuition and fee charges for that semester.
How to cancel:
- Log online to UI-Integrate Self-Service (Banner), find the registration module and select add/drop classes. Use the “web-drop” provision for each of your classes. However, when you attempt to drop your last class, the system will prompt you to use the electronic notification of intent to cancel your registration. This electronic notification is time stamped, and must be submitted no later than the business day before the first day of instruction to be eligible for cancellation. You can access more information at the Office of the Registrar.
- Submit a request for cancellation of registration to the Office of the Registrar. The request must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on the business day before the first day of instruction of the term you wish to cancel. Requests by mail should be addressed to the Office of the Registrar, 901 West Illinois Street, Urbana, IL 61801 or in person at the Records Service Center, 901 West Illinois Street, by 5:00 p.m. on the business day before the first day of instruction of the term you wish to cancel.
Withdrawal During the Semester
Once the semester begins, you can no longer cancel but you can request to withdraw. If you experience extenuating circumstances that require you to leave campus for an extended period of time or encounter events that negatively impact your ability to academically progress, then you can exercise your option to withdraw. A withdrawal means you are ending your enrollment in classes and does not necessarily mean that you are formally ending your admission to Illinois or your ability to register for subsequent semesters at Illinois.
How to withdraw:
- Contact the Director of Academic Affairs, Corey Thoss, to discuss your extenuating circumstances. If approved at the college level, he will complete an official withdrawal form which then requires signatures from several campus offices before final approval.
- You cannot withdraw yourself via the web using UI-Integrate Self-Service.
- If you fail to follow the official withdrawal procedure – e.g., you simply stop going to classes and leave campus, then you are still responsible for tuition and fee assessments and will earn “F” grades in your classes.
- Refunds for tuition and fees are provided on a pro-rata basis depending on the date of the withdrawal. Special refund policies apply if you withdraw to enter either active duty in the armed forces or other approved national defense.
- More information and the applicable refund deadlines are available from the Office of the Registrar.
- If you begin the withdrawal process after the ninth week of the semester, or later, you may be subject to having conditions imposed on your withdrawal and/or your ability to enroll for subsequent semesters.
- NCAA athletes must first consult with their academic counselors.
- International students must first consult with ISSS counselors.