International Transfer Courses (NOT study abroad through Illinois)

Outside the United States (all International Institutions):

International coursework is NOT reviewable prior to completion of the course, per International Admissions Processing policies.

Historically, the campus has discovered that course titles can change from term to term and the course documentation can differ from the formal official transcript. Irrespective of the term, coursework completed at an international institution that is not affiliated with a UIUC Study Abroad program will be reviewed by syllabus submission after completion of the course. Additionally, the International Admissions Unit must have processed the official transcript and the coursework added to the student's academic record before they may be articulated (transcripts must have been received). At that time, the syllabus from the term completed can be submitted and formally reviewed. Exceptions to this are military/political/philosophical propaganda course content offerings which are always NON-transferable.

Steps for Courses Taken Internationally:

  • Complete the course (courses taken internationally are not guaranteed to transfer or articulate in a certain way, so you are taking the course at your own risk)
  • Make sure to take for a letter grade (will not transfer otherwise)~
  • Have an official transcript sent from the international institution to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions
  • Once the transcript has been received by the Urbana-Champaign Campus:

Students should send all syllabi as attachments (PDF preferred) to We ask that students include the following information in the body of their email message:

1. Full name as it appears in Illinois records

2. UIN

3. Transfer course subject and number

4. College of enrollment