Maximum and Minimum Course Loads
You’ll need to average 15-16 credit hours per semester in order to finish a degree in eight semesters. The minimum course load required for full-time status is 12 hours. The maximum course load allowed is 18 hours. The registration system will automatically block you from dropping below 12 hours or registering for more than 18 hours.
Gies approves course loads of less than 12 hours in special circumstances, such as seniors in their final semester who need fewer than 12 hours to graduate and students with a documented illness who are unable to carry a full load (medical documentation is required). Students may request an underload for other reasons, but the college generally does not approve more than one such request. Complete the Overload/Underload Approval form to request an underload.
- International students must consult the Office of International Student and Scholar Services before initiating any change in their course schedule.
- Students on academic probation must maintain full-time status.
- Students may underload for only one semester at UIUC unless special circumstances, as outlined above, apply.
Students may carry as many as 18 hours without special permission. Approval for programs of more than 18 hours (overload) must be obtained from the college. Complete the Overload/Underload Approval form to request an overload. The College policy regarding overloads is noted below:
- New, first-time freshmen may not overload in their first or second semester.
- ICT students may not overload in their first semester.
- Requests of 19–20 hours will be approved only if the student has at least a 3.00 cumulative GPA and has successful completed 15–16 hours in each of the prior two semesters.
- Requests of over 20 hours will be considered only if the student has at least a 3.50 cumulative GPA and has successfully completed 15–16 hours in each of the prior two semesters.
- Students in the College of Business may not exceed two approved overloads within the 9 semester limit on enrollment.
- Approved overloads will be applied to student accounts on the first day of classes for the fall and spring semesters. Students may not overload during priority registration.